Thursday, July 2, 2015

Q&A with Adex Garza


Adex was born and raised in Plainview, Texas. After attending Texas Tech University for three and a half years, he decided to move to Los Angeles in order to pursue his professional aspirations. He is currently working on "Ripped", the sequel to "Grip", and a television series, "Stush".




1. What inspired you to write Grip? 

GRIP is actually inspired by what inexperienced during my own weight loss journey and growing up in Texas. One thing I do want to make clear, though, is that I didn't write it with ill intentions, quite the contrary actually.

I couldn't be more thankful to the incredible sport of artistic gymnastics, the guy who inspired Gable Cask and the incomparable state of Texas for the memories I cherish and the person they molded me into. 




2. How did Declan’s character develop throughout the story and what did he learn in the end?
When we meet Declan, he's already in rehab and his reticent nature is painfully apparent, however, as the narrative progresses the reader is, hopefully, able to understand why Declan has grown reticent through the flashbacks and therapy sessions. It isn't until the end the reader, again, hopefully, realizes that it's not so much the lesson(s) he learned that are imperative to the story, but his own resilience and how he's able to use it in order to inspire those around him that counts. 




3. What was the hardest part about writing this book?
The entire book was difficult to write, to begin with, but the more I wrote, the more cathartic it became. I was able to breathe better, and even relax, which is something I hadn't done in years up to that point. 

However Chapter 36 was a particularly ghastly segment to write. I would go into detail, but I feel like the chapter itself is pretty self explanatory. 

 

4. What do you hope readers will gain from your book?
More than anything, I want to be able to help someone who is going through what I went through, and see that they're not alone. I want to give hope to those who can't see the light at end of the tunnel, because I didn't see it for the longest time; I didn't have anyone for me there, until rehab. I want whomever reads this to know that they shouldn't be afraid to be the best version of themselves due to someone else's bigotry and ignorance. 




5. What inspired you to be a writer?
I think the most ironic aspect of this all is how much I never imagined myself a writer. I swore up and down I would be a designer and, at most, a singer/songwriter with all the Grammys in the world. 


Now, at 24, I see that I have a responsibility to my people, and by that I mean first generation immigrants, I mean the LGBTQIAAP community, and I mean those with eating disorders. I must fight to make a change for us.




6. What do you like best and what do you like least about being a writer?
The best part about being a writer is being able to use your words to entertain someone. Storytelling is something that goes back a couple generations in my family, so it definitely makes me happy. 

As far as what I least like about being a writer? The system. I've talked to some of my contemporaries and It's extremely discouraging to up and comers to see mediocrity praised and have money thrown at it, while the rest of us work our butts off to provide the world with quality literature. It's almost infuriating to see poorly written fan fiction earn millions while the rest of us have to get by with whatever means necessary. Which is not to speak ill about anyone's hustle, because... Hey, by all means, stack your paper, boo boo, but just know that it's discouraging to those who actually put effort into our work.




7. Who are some of your favorite authors?
As far as classical authors go, I love Hemingway, Steinbeck, Austen, Christie and Orwell.

Contemporary authors include JK Rowling, Meg Cabot, Sophie Kinsella, and Stephen King. 

 

8. Are you working on anything right now?
Apart from working for Joel Flora at Joel Flora Photography, aka the best photographer in the business Winking faceI am working on the first draft to RIPPED, the sequel to GRIP, STUSH which is a television series I wrote, and a couple side projects that are still in very early stages of development. 




9. If your book was made into a movie, who do you see playing the role of Declan? (You can pick any actor, living or dead)

Well, immediately after STUSH, that is the goal. As far as who would play Declan? Well, I wouldn't want anyone else to portray "me" but myself because I am Latino, and there needs to be more Latino actors on screen... That, and I'm selfish when it comes to things of that nature. As far as Gable goes, I would kill for MTV "Awkward"'s Beau Mirchoff. Yes, he's easy on the eyes, but I believe him to have the acting chops to really bring Gable's character to life... Not to mention he looks like an almost carbon copy of Gable. As far as the rest of the cast, I'd love Jennifer Hudson to play Dr. Anderson, even though it's a male part. Kevin Spacey would make for a great Coach Johnson, Shailene Woodley or Selena Gomez would be incredible for Karen and Jax Pinchalk rounding out the main cast as Skylar.




10. And, finally, what do you think is in store for the future of Latino literature?
Definitely a stronger presence in not only the literary sense, but in all other aspects of the media. I may be one voice, but one voice turns into two and so on and so forth. 

I've chosen to be a part of this industry, not for the fame, like many others, but for the power that comes with success. I want to be an advocate for those like me. I want to make a change. The last words I told my mom before driving off were, "I WILL change the world," so I want for little kids to look at me and say, "I'm going to do it, because he did it." 

I won't stop until I've amassed the Pulitzer, Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony because I want first generationals to realize that they don't necessarily have to give up on their dreams because they're big... In fact, it's because those dreams are so big that they can be accomplished, because those who dare to dream big are the ones that achieve what they seek. Not to mention that I do hope to make my parents proud some day. 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment