Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Q&A with Liza Treviño


Liza Treviño hails from Texas, spending many of her formative years on the I-35 corridor of San Antonio, Austin and Dallas. In pursuit of adventure and a Ph.D., Liza moved to Los Angeles where she compiled a collection of short-term, low-level Hollywood jobs like script girl, producer assistant and production assistant. Her time as a Hollywood Jane-of-all-trades gave her an insider's view to a world most only see from the outside, providing the inspiration for creating a new breed of Latina heroine.



    1.       What inspired you to write All that Glitters?

I’ve always been a reader and a writer since I was a kid. I loved – LOVE – all kinds of genres: horror, suspense, romance, but Jackie Collins, in particular, always held a special place in my heart. I adore her work and all Hollywood fiction.  I gobbled it up when I was a teenager.  Eventually, I was re-reading one of my favorites of hers while I was in grad school in Los Angeles, and it hit me.  Where is a Latina Lucky Santangelo? I wanted to read about a badass character like Lucky Santangelo, but I wanted her to be Latina. And that’s how it started for me. I began thinking about the popular stories I liked to read and decided I was going to create those kinds of stories but put a Latina at the center of the action.  That’s definitely something I wanted to read. I couldn’t find it, so I started writing

 

2.       What were Alex and Elly’s ultimate goal in their journey?

Alex and Elly, strangely enough, are on similar journeys. There are three key relationships in the book, and each of the relationship highlights different but complimentary themes that overlap. Themes that include the redemptive nature of loyalty and friendship, the destructive power of giving into your worst impulses, facing your demons, learning to love yourself, self-acceptance and trust. Both Alex and Elly come up against these questions and they each have to figure out these answers for themselves.

 

3.       How did the main characters evolve in the story and what did they find in the end?

Over a span of the ten to twelve years, we follow Alex and Elly as they each grapple with heartbreak, love, envy and ambition.  In the end, each woman learns their true nature only by going through similar di the nature of the way they each deal with difficult situations.
 
 

4. What are some of the main socio-economic issues that you explore in this book and why did you explore them?

The main socio-economic issues tackled in this book are sexism, gender inequality and the masked yet innate racism/prejudice all ethnic others face.  My story is about this Latina, Alex Moreno, who decides to set her sights on filmmaking as her life’s work. This is what she wants more than anything else in the world.  She is an outsider and she wants to break in and take a seat at a table in one of the toughest businesses there is. Given that Hollywood is a notorious guy’s club, this book had to take a very particular look at gender and sexism through the lens of this most glamorous business.  And, while Alex doesn’t experience overt racism, prejudicial slurs toward her surface when others are threatened by Alex and her success.  By tackling these issues this way, I hoped to bring to light prevalent inequalities that existed and continue to exist at every level. I get no pleasure considering how relevant these issues are today, when the book’s setting is nearly three decades old.

 

5. What do you hope readers will gain from your book?

I hope readers enjoy the book, first and foremost.  Also, I’d love for them to feel like they gained a new Latina hero; someone who is both recognizable and larger than life.

 

6.       What do you like best and what do you like least about being a writer?

Best: Finishing a story and knowing the ending feels right. It literally feels like a weight has lifted and the story is out of me and into the world. And the satisfaction that I did it.

Worst: Just before starting a new story or project. I get racked with insecurity that I’ve forgotten how to write.

 

7.       Who are some of your favorite authors?
 
     Jackie Collins and Joan Didion are my absolute favorites. I'm also a big fan of Carlos Fuentes, Carrie Fisher, Michael Crichton, and Stephen King.



8.       If your book would be turned into a movie, who would you imagine playing the part of the main character? (Actor can be ANYONE, living or dead.) 
 
This used to be a very difficult question. While writing, there were different actresses I could see aspects of Alexandria Moreno, but none were quite her. Recently, I saw the Latina actress Adria Arnoja in NBC’s Emerald City. She definitely is the best fit for Alex Moreno. No doubt about it.

 

9.       Are you working on anything right now?
 
     Yes! All That Glitters is a 3-part series, and I’m working on the second installment. I just finished a Christmas-time romantic comedy set in San Antonio, and I’m developing a true crime, detective story also set in San Antonio, Texas.


 

10.   And, finally, what do you think is in store for the future of Latino literature?

My sincere hope is that Latinas are recognized for the avid readers they are! I think the “Diverse Books movement” is going to result in the providing Latino stories across an array of genres. While the immigrant narrative will always be a part of Latino literature, the future will move beyond the immigrant narrative and expand and spread out among all the popular genres. We all enjoy these pop genres, but what’s missing is the Latino representation. And making Latinos the protagonist, the center of the action is long overdue. That future is here.

 Find out more at https://lizatrevino.com/
 
Coming up: A review of All that Glitters

 

No comments:

Post a Comment