Thursday, June 5, 2014

Q&A with Author Diane Escalera


 
Born and raised in the Bronx, NY, Diane Escalera makes her home in coastal North Carolina. The sultry surroundings are a steady source of inspiration for her hot love stories. Diane is married, has two children and a super cute dachshund she can’t get enough of. She writes contemporary romance and is published with Kensington Publishing and Lyrical Press.

Facebook.com/DianeEscaleraOfficial
Twitter.com/DianeEscalera
Goodreads.com/DianeEscalera
***
 
 
Promoting her newest novella, PLAYING WITH DESTINY, Diane joins us for a quick Q&A.
 
 
 
1) What gave you the idea for PLAYING WITH DESTINY?
The hero in this story had never been in a real relationship. He loved the fast life, fast chicks. I thought it would be fun to turn the tables on him. What if he fell for a woman who was just looking for a one-night stand?   
2) This is book 3 of the LATIN HEAT TRILOGY. Can you please tell us a little about this series?
I had been wanting to feature a Latin hero in a mainstream book because there aren't too many out there. The character ended up exceeding my expectations, so I figured, why not throw an equally sexy brother and a cousin into the mix? The idea evolved into a Latin Heat Trilogy starring the hunky LaCosta men. Each story can stand alone, and readers who love sensual tales and passionate heroes should enjoy this series.       
 
3) What personality traits or features do you consider when writing your lead female characters? How about your male characters?
I spend a lot of time figuring out who my characters are. So many things shape a person, and I start with their childhood, family, etc. Where did they come from? What made them who they are today? I try to draw from my Latin roots, create characters we can all relate to. They have flaws, but they also have integrity, respect, and a good heart. Sometimes they're humorous. And always sexy!
4) Destiny states that you can’t have a job and a relationship. “It’d be the same as a long-distance relationship; they’d hardly ever see each other.” What are your thoughts?
Destiny's job makes her apprehensive because she travels on a regular basis. Relationships take work. You have to nurture them, which is harder to do when you're miles apart. But if you love someone, you do what it takes to be together.    
 
5) What is your process when writing a romance novel?
I need to have a few things in place before starting a new story such as a working title, my main characters, and the premise of the story. I like to have an idea where I’m going, but I’m never sure how I’m going to get there until I start writing.
6) What do you like best about being a writer? What do you dislike?
The best thing for me is seeing an idea transform into a story, and then sharing it with everyone else. I feel truly blessed to be able to do this. The only thing I dislike is that I can't write any faster.
7) What do you do when you get writer’s block?
Fortunately, I rarely have writer's block because I usually know where the story is going.  If I hit a bump, I'll step away and do something else. The answer eventually comes to me.
8) Who are some of your favorite authors?
recently Linda Howard, Lori Foster, and Jill Shalvis are my go-to authors. They're gifted storytellers who create smokin' hot heroes like the ones I adore.

 
9) Are you working on any other books?
I recently got back the rights to my Lyrical Press titles, and I'm in the process of self-publishing these books. I'm also working on a boxed set and a print edition of the Latin Heat Trilogy, which I hope to have available in the fall.
10) What advice would you give to our Latina readers?
I'll tell you what works for me. It's not easy being a woman, especially today. There are so many expectations, so much pressure to think, look, feel a certain way. But there are also endless opportunities. Listen to your heart, follow your instincts. Take care of yourself first, then take care of others. Find something you're passionate about. Work hard. And above all, smile! 
 
 
 


PLAYING WITH DESTINY is available at:

**Our review of PLAYING WITH DESTINY is coming up next!**



1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for having me. I really enjoyed our Q&A!

    ReplyDelete