Wednesday, December 6, 2017

Q&A with R.M. James


R.M. James wrote plays as a child and forced her sisters to read them. As she got older, her stories evolved into short movies. Her film and literature studies edged her into one of her truest callings: fiction writing. The majority of her time goes into caring for her family, taking nature shots, and imagining new scenes for another novel. She lives in Nevada.




1.       What inspired you to write Dead Seasons?
 I had a dream about a couple of friends jumping from season to literal season. That and the fact   that I    wanted to write a horror novel. I put the two together and created this novel.

 

 

2.       What was the hardest part about writing this book? 
 
The last part. Winter. Only because my sister died before I got to it. She had been my beta reader up until that point. My sister is a huge inspiration and the reason I dedicated the novel to her.  She also had a lot of influence in how I ended the book.

 

 

3.       What’s the premise of the game?

Depends on which character viewpoint. The point of the game is to get to the end and win. But it’s the getting there that’s hard.

 

4.       What was significant about the seasons?
 
Each season represented each player and their own journey. I’d say more, but I rather
the reader come to his or her own conclusion.

 

5.       What was Canela’s role as “the leaf” and why was she integral?
 
I’m not sure how to answer this question without giving a spoiler. But I will say, that she came into the game with the most to lose.
 


 

6.       There were a variety of characters in the story. What were some of the key issues between them?

Philip struggled with control and accepting what was happening. Nicole didn’t want to be alone. Aspen buried a lot of his emotions, and Canela needed to come to terms with her mortality.

 

7.       What do you hope readers will gain from your book?

I hope readers gain a new perspective when it comes to life and death. What we live for? What we can’t let go of? What it all means. And where we going. If nothing else, I hope they enjoy the read.

 

8.       What inspired you to be a writer?
I don’t remember what inspired me. I have been writing since I was a little kid. I used to make my sisters read my stories. I think that’s what it is. I wanted to share my stories with other people.

 

9.       What do you like best and what do you like least about being a writer?
I love the writing and I love editing. I think my least favorite part is making time. I have small children. It’s not always easy to sit down and write. So, I guess that.


 

10.   Who are some of your favorite authors?

I get asked this question a lot. I don’t have favorite authors. I keep discovering new ones every year that I add to my list of other books I’ll check out by that person. Every year I love a certain few more than others and it switches all the time. I have many.

 

11.   If your book would be turned into a movie, who would you imagine playing the part of the main characters? (Actor can be ANYONE, living or dead.)

Whoa, I have never thought of this. I guess for Canela, I can picture Dania Ramirez. For Nicole, Teresa Palmer. For Aspen, Evan Peters, and for Philip, Nicholas Hoult. This question took me the longest to write. Haha.

 

12.   Are you working on anything right now?
 

I’m working on a psychological thriller at the moment. Been loving every minute of writing it.

 

13.   And, finally, what do you think is in store for the future of Latino literature?

 
My hope is that we continue to write and publish and support one another. But also make main characters that are Latinos as well. When I was growing up and reading, it was rare to encounter a Hispanic main character in my favorite genres. I hope that changes for my children.

 

 

 

 

 


 

No comments:

Post a Comment