Friday, July 8, 2016

Q&A with Gabriela Cabezut


Gabriela Cabezut is a Mexican author who has been inclined to write ever since she was little. Being a creative person has always been one of her major traits. 

When she was a child, she used to type short stories for her family and friends. 

Then, she created and directed a school newspaper for her Elementary School. 

Reading has always been an important part of her life. Distinctively, she loves to read in English. Therefore, after being a silent reader for most of her life, she started to write romance stories on a writer’s community website, where she has succeeded by having thousands of readers from around the globe reading her stories.

She manages her time between her family and friends, as well as her own cake-decorating business and as of lately, writing romance stories.

She's an active Wattpad writer. You can find several stories on her profile.




1.       What inspired you to write Hopelessly Imperfect?
It started as a need to let go. I was going through a difficult time in my life and I didn’t know what to do with all the feelings I had inside of me. My mother passed away a few months earlier and I dealt with her loss by writing this story.


2.       Did you relate to the main character, Cassie, in any way? If so, what?
Yes. So much. Like Cassie, I was feeling guilty about many things. There was so much that I felt like I needed to say and I couldn’t. Not in real life. Hopelessly Imperfect is not an autobiography, but the story has too much of me in it. It was a sad time in my life and I didn’t know how to deal with that emptiness I felt at that time. I couldn’t write my usual humorous romance stories, so I started this one.


3.       How would you describe the relationship between Cassie and Nathan?
They’re each other’s lifeline. They are both in pain and have many emotions to get through. Without really noticing, they both help each other overcome their fears and grow up together in a span of a few months.


4.       What was the hardest part about writing this book?
Publishing it. Not the whole querying thing, but the fact that it’s the book that’s really close to me and it terrifies me to let it out there for the world to read.
And writing that final letter that Cassie wrote to her Mom. It was super hard. I cry every time I read it.

5.       What are some of the main issues that you explore in this book and why did you explore them?
Loss, grief, sadness. Losing someone you love so much is extremely hard, especially when you’re close to them. I’d lost other relatives, but I’d never experienced grief so hard. It took me a while to realize that I didn’t need to be strong all the time, that I could be sad and that it’s okay. We’re allowed to have gloomy days. In fact, it’s healthy to let go. That’s what I wanted to let on, that life goes on.

6.       What do you hope readers will gain from your book?
To have hope, no matter what happens in life or how hard you’re struggling, this too, shall pass. To be brave and say whatever you feel like you need to say and to let every feeling flow. It’s okay to be sad, too.

7.       What do you like best and what do you like least about being a writer?
I love creating different stories and sort of playing God with my characters. Ha! I love making someone feel butterflies in their stomachs for reading one of my stories. Or making them laugh or cry. To connect with my characters.
I don’t like marketing. It’s daunting and half the time I don’t know what I’m doing!


8.       Who are some of your favorite authors?
The first author I read was Jane Austen and I loved how all her stories had a happy ending. Stephanie Perkins’ stories brought me back from the dark stage I was going through. Veronica Roth for creating such an amazing trilogy…and of course, J.K. Rowling for creating such a magical and complex world.

9.       If your book would be turned into a movie, who would you imagine playing the part of the main character? (Actor can be ANYONE, living or dead.)
I always imagined Cassie as Alexis Bledel and Nathan as Colton Haynes.

10.   What can readers expect in Book 2 of the Imperfect Series?
The second book is about Farah and Chris. At the end of Hopelessly Imperfect, they had broken up, but they were always such a sweet and fun couple. It actually starts when Farah comes back for the summer. Has she forgotten about him? Has he? A lot of things can happen in a year…


11.   And, finally, what do you think is in store for the future of Latino literature?

I’m excited and confident to know that many Latino authors are out there. Having internet and international platforms like Wattpad has made it easy to get your work out there, even though if you’re not based in English-spoken countries. There seem to be more opportunities for writers all around, and that’s pretty exciting!



Up next: A review of Hopelessly Imperfect

No comments:

Post a Comment