Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Q&A with Kathy Cano-Murrillo

As promised, here is our interview with Latina author, "The Crafty Chica," Kathy Cano-Murrillo. (So sorry for the delay, you guys.)

Q: How does your Latina culture influence your work (writing and art?)

A: It influences everything I do! I’m third generation Mexican-American and have grown up with all the traditions as daily life. I love my culture, I love the history, the beauty, the music, the customs and the pop culture! We are a very diverse people. I grew up in a middle class family and was blessed to have two wonderful l parents, a happy home and good schools. I was able to travel across the world right after high school and learn about other cultures as well. Now when I write my books and make my art, I like my work to reflect that. I want to show “all-American chicas,” who are college educated and making the most of their opportunities, as they have a foot in both worlds. It’s also important to me to represent Latinas in the creative arts industry. Through my web site, I’ve met scores of creative Latinas, who not only work and raise their families, but also find time for themselves to make art and express themselves. It makes them happier and stronger role models.



Q: Please describe your art/writing process.

A: For my books, I always start with a blank art journal. The good kind with heavy art paper sheets. I brainstorm my ideas using colored markers and doodles. I’m a very visual person! Once I get all of that down, I type up a one paragraph summary of what I want the book to be about. I type up character profiles, which I don’t think hard about. I let them flow as I type and that’s how they come to life! Next, I think of their names and then write a paragraph on their story arc. I then piece it all together in one big outline. And then I start writing! I end up varying from the outline, but it still serves as a basic road map.

As far as my art, I go with what kind of mood I’m in. I have an art journal, where I write and draw the ideas that come to me. When I feel like making something new, I’ll open the journal and find an idea that fits my mood. I’ll paint like crazy for a week, and then I’ll switch to sewing. I’m a very project-oriented person. I absolutely MUST finish what I start. I can’t sleep if I leave something unfinished! Even though I can get obsessive about it, it helps me bring an idea to fruition.

Below is video trailer for my newest book.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V_EvI3BERQQ&feature=channel_video_title

Books available on Amazon

No comments:

Post a Comment